We all go through tough times. It's what we do in those moments that defines us. Will you let them break you, or will you use them to become stronger?
When we feel overwhelmed, it can be difficult to see the way through. It’s perfectly okay to ask for help or advice to guide us. We all need a reminder at times of the strength we hold within—be it physical, intellectual, or emotional.
This list of 40 essential short quotes will encourage you to be your best self and keep fighting, no matter what life throws your way. Inspiration can have a ripple effect, so share them with your friends and family as well to spread the love!
Quotes about change and growth
It’s easy to give up or lose hope when faced with seemingly insurmountable challenges.
Believe that you are capable of enduring just about anything. Change and growth are essential to a strong mind and body. It's not about never struggling; it's about learning to stay strong in the face of adversity.
- "Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." – James Baldwin
- "Don't be afraid to give up the good to go for the great." – John D. Rockefeller
- "Change will not come if we wait for some other person or if we wait for some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek." – Barack Obama
- “Strength and growth come only through continuous effort and struggle.” – Napoleon Hill
- “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” – Louisa May Alcott
- “You have power over your mind – not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.” – Marcus Aurelius
- "Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional." – Haruki Murakami
Quotes for staying hopeful
There’s power in optimism, even when things look bleak. No matter how big or small your goal is, keep at it – there’s a chance things could change very soon.
- “If you can't get a miracle, become one.” – Nick Vujicic
- “When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.” – Paulo Coelho
- "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." – Walt Disney
- “Every day begins with an act of courage and hope: getting out of bed.” – Mason Cooley
- "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- "He who believes is strong; he who doubts is weak. Strong convictions precede great actions." – James Freeman Clarke
- “Every burden is a blessing.” – Walt Kelly
- "Courage is grace under pressure." – Ernest Hemingway
Quotes about perseverance
Any challenge can be overcome with hard work and perseverance. Let these quotes remind you of your inner strength and motivate you to be your best self.
- “You never know how strong you are, until being strong is your only choice.” – Bob Marley
- “The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it." – Molière
- “Strength doesn't come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn't.” – Rikki Rogers
- “That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
- “Failure should be our teacher, not our undertaker. Failure is delay, not defeat. It is a temporary detour, not a dead end. Failure is something we can avoid only by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing.” – Denis Waitley
- “Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." – Mahatma Gandhi
- “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” – Will Durant
- “There are better starters than me but I’m a strong finisher.” – Usain Bolt
- "It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.” – Sir Edmund Hillary
Quotes for when you receive criticism
Whether it's from a friend, family member, colleague or complete stranger, criticism can feel demoralizing regardless.
However, with the right mindset, such comments can be constructive and help you identify areas for improvement. Rather than let negativity get you down, use them as fuel for your personal growth.
- “I like criticism. It makes you strong.” – LeBron James
- “The moment you give up, is the moment you let someone else win." – Kobe Bryant
- “Silence is a source of great strength." – ****Lao Tzu
- “The soul that is within me no man can degrade.” – Frederick Douglass
- “What makes you different or weird, that’s your strength.” – Meryl Streep
Quotes about forgiveness
Forgiving someone doesn't change what has already been done, but it does make the healing easier. When you're feeling hurt or angry, these quotes can help you find the strength to let go.
- “The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.” – Mahatma Gandhi
- “To err is human; to forgive, divine.” – Alexander Pope
- "Forgiveness is not an occasional act, it is a constant attitude." – Martin Luther King Jr.
- “There is nothing stronger in the world than gentleness." – Han Suyin
Inspirational Life Quotes
The strongest people are often also the most vulnerable. They've been through difficult times and emerged from them stronger. Recognizing your own power can help you find the way forward, just as you have before.
- "And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye." – Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
- “The only limit to your impact is your imagination and commitment.” – Tony Robbins
- “I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you’re not, I hope you have the courage to start over again.” – Eric Roth
- "A strong woman is someone who is able to smile this morning like she wasn’t crying last night." – Harriet Morgan
- “Whenever you find yourself doubting how far you can go, just remember how far you have come. Remember everything you have faced, all the battles you have won, and all the fears you have overcome.” – N.R. Walker
- “I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.” – Jimmy Dean
- "Life doesn't get easier or more forgiving; we get stronger and more resilient.” – Steve Maraboli
These quotes can be a source of daily inspiration to start off your mornings, to prepare you for work or simply to face the day ahead. You can have them on display in your office or bedroom as visual reminders.
We all have our own unique struggles, so take the time to reflect on what these words mean to you personally. Remember, you are not alone in this. Strength comes in many forms, and it is always possible to find your inner power when you need it most.